reading assignment a
To complete this examination, follow these steps:
- Use a word-processing program, preferably Microsoft Word, to complete the examination.
- At the top of every page, include your name and student number.
- Be sure to save your work. If you do not have access to Microsoft Word, you must properly format your document by clicking Save As, naming it using the student number_exam number format (for example, 12345678_007175), and choosing File Type: Rich Text Format. This exam must be uploaded as a .doc or .rtf file to be graded electronically.
To submit your exam, follow these steps:
- From your student portal, click Take Exam next to the lesson you’ve completed.
- Be sure to save your work.
- Attach your file as follows:
a. Click on the Browse box.
b. Locate the file you wish to attach.
c. Double-click on the file.
d. Click on Upload File.
- Click on Submit Files.
Answer each of the following questions according to the instructions given. Question 1 (aâ€“b) is based on the following paragraph.
A trip to the ocean can be a relaxing escape from the everyday pressures of life. A sailboat glistening on the horizon provides a mental escape to faraway places. The rhythm of the ocean beating against the sand is sedating music to a troubled mind. A slow, gentle breeze can relax your tensions. You should always be careful to avoid overexposure to the sun at the beach.
- a. Write the sentence that is the topic sentence of the paragraph.
b. Write the sentence that is unrelated to the topic and can be eliminated.
- List four things to look for when youâ€™re proofreading.
- Complete the following two steps:
a. Define the term clichÃ©.
b. Use a clichÃ© in a sentence that you create.
- Name and explain two types of prewriting.
- Choose one of the prompts listed below. Write a five-sentence paragraph using chronological order and including a topic sentence to explain the steps that you would take to complete one of the following tasks.
a. Preparing for a test
b. Preparing to host a party or an event
c. Getting ready for work
d. Cleaning your room or your home
e. Building a snowman, sandcastle, or sculpture
f. Creating a budget
- Choose one of the following topics. Write an eight-sentence paragraph that fully develops the topic.
a. Following instructions is very important.
b. Job training programs (such as Job Corps) are valuable to both employers and potential employees.
c. Advances in technology are making people less social.
d. A high school diploma is important to my future.
e. College is not for everyone.
f. Drunk driving can be stopped.