RA: Team Development
Teams go through stages of development. There are five stages and each stage has its own recognizable feelings and behaviors. The five stages are: forming, storming, norming, performing, and adjourning. Understanding why things are happening in certain ways on your team can be an important part of the self-evaluation process. This assignment prepares the reader with skills to analyze and negotiate team development challenges.
You are the nurse manager of a telemetry unit in a large, urban-based, acute care facility. Due to recent evidence-based research and soaring pharmaceutical costs, administrators are debating switching to more non-narcotic pain management procedures. You recognize that despite the evidence, individuals within the culturally and generationally diverse nursing staff might respond differently to implementation of this practice change. You recognize that you need to develop a focus group or team prior to recommending any changes to the current policies.
The members of the team include:
- David (53 years old, white male): Pharmacist with 10 years experience
- Sarah (26 years old, black female): Nurse Educator with 5 years experience working on med-surg
- Mohammed (40 years old, Muslim male): Staff nurse with 8 years experience working on various units
- Emiyo (19 years old, Asian female): Patient Care Technician, 2 years nursing experience working on oncology
- Danielle (62 years old, white female): Manger with 22 years experience working in ICU
You have worked on projects with Danielle and David, but have never worked with the others. No one else on the team has experience working with each other, and you have been given a very tight deadline to get this project completed.
Read the scenario above and research the five stages of team development using your textbook, the Argosy University Online Library, and/or the Internet. In this assignment, you are to generate a team development plan that addresses the challenges faced by a culturally and generationally diverse team. Discuss what should occur in each stage and when you, as the team leader, should move the group to the next stage of team development. Generate a 4- to 6-page team development plan in which the following are addressed:
- Analyze at least 5 major problems that may result from having a culturally and generationally diverse team as listed in the above scenario.
- Discuss the five stages of team development.
- Given the 5 identified problems, how do you as team leader move the team members through each of the five stages?
Make sure you use scholarly research throughout to support your ideas; write in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.