You are currently the Chief Information Officer (CIO) for an innovative
Internet-based company with gross revenues of more than $35 million dollars per
year. During an executive leadership meeting, you were told that your company
will be merging with a multinational company of equal size and you will be
responsible for developing a project plan to strategically integrate all
systems, including databases and infrastructure. The Chief Executive Officer has
given you sixty (60) days to deliver an information technology project plan in
anticipation of the company merger. Your company will be expanding from one (1)
floor to three (3) floors within six (6) months. Since this merger will be
bringing two (2) fairly equal-sized companies together under one roof, the
infrastructure must be redesigned to accommodate the increased needs. Your
company currently uses operational systems and relational databases but desires
to expand into data warehousing. All information technology (hardware and
software) must be redesigned to meet organizational needs. The solution should
be implemented in either a hosted solution, on-site solution, or a hybrid model.
The CEO is expecting you to integrate different technologies from different
solution providers and incorporate industry best practices in connection with
the development of technological systems. In addition, the CEO is extremely
interested in cloud technologies and virtualization but is leery of security
issues; however, the CEO is sure that you will implement proper security
protocols. The company currently consists of twenty five (25) employees but is
expected to increase to sixty five (65) employees when the merger is
Section 1: Project Introduction
Write a four to six (4-6) page project introduction that documents the
current state of the organization prior to any development or enhancements,
takes into account all the information given above, and includes the
- Background information of the company.
- Details regarding the type of business activities that the company is
- Speculation on outsourcing and offshoring opportunities.
- A description of the current information systems that the company has to
support the business. The description should include an overview of the
following: operational systems, databases, and data warehousing;
cloud technology and virtualization; and network infrastructure and security.
- The use of at least two (2) quality resources in this assignment. Note:
Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
Section 2: Project Plan
Use Microsoft Project to create a project plan (summary and detailed)
template. The project plan should:
- Record all tasks, subtasks, resources, and time related to the project.
- Outline the planning, analysis, design, and implementation phases.
- Develop in accordance with the SDLC.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Describe the integrative functions and activities within the information
systems area, including the role of the CIO and technologies managed within the
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in information
- Write clearly and concisely about leadership issues and strategic insight of
the Information systems domain using proper writing mechanics and technical
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic /
organization of the paper, and language and writing skills. Click here to access the rubric for this assignment. Click here to review the Capstone Project