Information Systems In Nursing
PLS Read the competencies !
Write 3–5 pages in which you discuss how a current information system used in the delivery of patient care contributes to improved patient outcomes.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Describe the importance of effective scholarship and evidence-based information to advance the profession of nursing.
- Describe how an information system used in nursing contributes to evidence-based nursing practices.
- Competency 2: Identify strategies and best practices for using informatics in nursing and health care.
- Describe how a nurse researcher uses information technology to define patient safety within the context of outcomes.
- Competency 3: Explain the use of information management tools and technologies to monitor and improve health care delivery and patient outcomes.
- Describe how nurse leaders and nurse informaticists use technology and evidence-based practice to contribute to improved patient outcomes.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is consistent with the expectations of a nursing professional.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Write a paper in which you analyze an information system for its effectiveness in improving patient care.
Select an example of a current information system used in the delivery of patient care. Note: Ideally, select a system from your workplace to examine. If you are not currently working, select a system from an organization close to where you live. This technology should be used for data management designed to improve patient care.
Familiarize yourself with the technology. Do some personal research to gain a deeper understanding about the technology. Visit the Web site of the company who markets the technology to familiarize with how the company positions the technology in the market. Read articles online and in the library related to your chosen system. Remember to take notes to keep track of what you discover. Examine the following aspects of the technology:
- How is the information system designed to contribute to safety and quality in the care of patients?
- What types of data are tracked, monitored, stored, and trended in the system?
- How well does it accomplish what it is designed to do in your chosen real-world setting?
- How is this information system used to support research or action by nurse researchers, leaders, and informaticists? If it is not currently being used to support research, how could it be used in the future?
- What types of opportunities are available for nurses, in any scope of practice, that gives them the chance to participate in the design and testing of this system?
- How might the technology be enhanced so it better meets the needs of the professionals currently using the system?
Compare what you learn with how your chosen technology is being used in the workplace. Think about your own workplace and consider speaking with other professionals who currently use the system.
Write an paper in which you discuss and apply what you have learned about how your chosen information system is used in the delivery of patient care and how it contributes (or does not contribute) to improved patient care. Include the following categories:
- Describe your chosen information system used in nursing and how it contributes to evidence-based nursing practices.
- Describe the types of data that are tracked and how the data are monitored, stored, and trended.
- Describe how a nurse researcher, nurse leader, and nurse informaticist use information technology to define patient safety within the context of outcomes.
- Describe how nurses can enhance the technology through participation in design and testing of the system.
- Written communication: Ensure written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Format resources and citations according to current APA style and formatting guidelines. Include the following:
- Title page.
- Running head (a short title that appears on every page).
- Title on the first page of text.
- Level 1 headings for paper sections.
- In-text parenthetical citations and a reference list.
- Number of resources: Cite a minimum of four peer-reviewed resources.
- Length: Submit 3–5 typed, double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Use Times New Roman, 12 point.
Consider the following questions from the point of view of a specific organization:
- Technologies used for direct care:
- How are data used to improve patient outcomes?
- How does technology contribute to safety and quality of care in this setting?
- Technologies used for data management:
- How are data tracked, monitored, stored, or trended in your data management system?
- How is technology used for data archiving and retrieval?
- Reliability and safeguards:
- How do you know your data are reliable?
- What types of safeguards are in place to protect patient data?
- How are data extracted and used for research endeavors in your organization?
- What are examples of how nurses at the bedside are involved in technology design and testing in your organization? In other organizations? How might you do it differently?
- Technology and professional development:
- What are the challenges for successful implementation of new technologies in health care environment and nursing practices—in general? Specific to your organization?
- If you had the power to improve the way technology is used in your organization, what you would like to see changed or enhanced?