Communication Theory Annotated Bibliography
For this assignment, you will select and investigate a communication theory and create an annotated bibliography that conforms to American Psychological Association format and style requirements.
1. Choose a communication theory covered in the course content as follows:
- Any group or organizational comm theory EXCEPT Groupthink
- Any Media theory EXCEPT Uses and Gratifications
- Any of the Culture and Diversity theories
- Any of the Relationship Development theories
To begin acquainting yourself with communication theories, see the attachment here for an abridged list of basic communication theories. See the Encyclopedia of Communication Theory in our Course Resources for links to detailed information on a wide range of communication theories. You may want to select a communication theory that you feel comfortable working with the entire semester. The studies you find here can feed into your Theory Presentation (due week 7) and into your Final Project (due week 8).
Review information about the theory you’d like to pursue. The Encyclopedia of Communication Theory would be a good source for this.
5. Once you are done exploring, search for peer-reviewed journal articles that have applied your communication theory to the career you’re interested in. For example, “nursing” and “standpoint theory” or “nursing” and “cognitive dissonance theory.” If you can not find any studies that have directly applied your theory to your line of work, then look for studies which have applied your theory in other real world settings. You can then make the argument that what you learned from these studies would apply to your profession as well.
6. Report the subject area.
7. Report the database(s) you used for your search.
8. Report the keywords you used in your searches.
9. Write an introductory paragraph (~250-300 words) describing the reasons you chose that theory or researcher in the context of the following question:
How can an understanding of your specific communication theory supplement the skills and insights you will need to succeed in your future work?
10. Select three articles from the databases in your field of study or career interest that support your thesis in response to the question posed in Step 9.
11. Write an annotated bibliography for the three articles that best support your thesis. Then write a summary of at least 150 words for each article that includes an explanation of how the article supports your thesis. Make sure each summary or “annotation” includes a specific quote that illuminates what you learned from the article and/or how it applies to your career.
12. Please be sure to write carefully and well, using good grammar and APA-style in-text citations for quotes, summaries, and paraphrases.